Peach season is upon us, and it's the perfect time to make a delicious homemade pie
for the Crust
- 150 g cold unsalted butter
- 240 g all purpose flour
- 5 g table salt
- 30 g sugar
- 4 tbsp water (or more if needed)
- Put metal mixing bowl and paddle attachment into the freezer prior to starting.
- Butter pie plate.
- Break cold butter into chunks and place into cold mixing bowl.
- Add the flour, salt and sugar and mix together using the paddle attachment until butter is pea-sized.
- Slowly add ice cold water until dough is combined (you may need a little more water).
- Once the dough is combined but still “flour-y,” divide dough into two equal balls (approx. 260 g each).
- On a lightly floured board, roll out one ball to a circle the size of your pie plate.
- Place rolled dough into plate and scallop the edges. Poke holes in dough using fork.
- Roll out the other ball into a circle that is slightly bigger than your pie plate. Place on parchment.
- Put both pie plate with crust and top crust into freezer (not fridge) while preparing filling.
for the Filling
- 450 g peaches, sliced into 1/2 inch slices (1 3/4 cup approximately)
- 450 g strawberries (approximately 2 cups)
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup flour
- 5 ml vanilla
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 45 ml lemon juice
- 30 ml melted butter
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger zested
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- If strawberries are large, cut into halves or quarters.
- Keep peaches in slices, that’s part of the goodness of this pie!
- Combine all ingredients into a bowl and toss until well mixed.
- Take the crust out of the freezer and pack all of the fruit into the pie plate (don’t leave anything in the bowl).
- Take the other rolled piece of pastry and cover fruit.
- Seal the crust along edges and cut slits into crust.
- Place pie on baking sheet lined with parchment (to protect your oven from getting messy).
- Place pie directly into preheated oven and bake for approximately an hour. Check the pie after 30 minutes to see if one side is baking faster than the other. If so, rotate the pie.
- If it’s not golden brown at the one hour mark, keep baking a bit longer until entire top of pie is golden.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely (patience). It’s worth the wait!
Open Monday to Friday from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.; Saturdays and Sundays from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m., 2302B Clarke Street, Port Moody