If you're looking for ways to add more blueberries to your meals, try these easy blueberry-filled breakfast bars
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- 1 cup margarine or butter, softened
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup of low fat milk
- 1 1/4 cup of quick cooking oats
- 2 cups of frozen, unsweetened blueberries
- 1 1/2 cups of corn/rice cereal squares, coarsely crushed
- Have all ingredients at room temperature.
- In a bowl combine flour, baking powder and salt.
- Place margarine and sugar in mixer. Using the paddle attachment, mix at low speed until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs and vanilla; beat until smooth.
- Add milk, flour mixture and oats; beat until blended, scraping down sides of the bowl as necessary.
- Stir in blueberries (batter will be stiff).
- Spread evenly in a greased 18 x 26 inch pan.
- Sprinkle cereal over-top.
- Bake at 175° C until golden brown and tester comes out clean, about 40 minutes.
- Cool in pan.
- Cut in pan in 2-inch squares or 1½- x 3-inch bars.
Makes about 110 bars
Originally published in Wellness Matters, Canada Wide Media’s quarterly newsletter on health and wellness.