If you're planning on keeping your Live Potted/B&B Christmas trees beyond the holidays, here are a few helpful hints
My favourite thing about buying potted/balled and burlapped (B&B) trees is that you can plant the tree inyour yard after Christmas and enjoy it for years to come.
Here are some guidelines for best success.
Live Potted/B&B Christmas Tree Tips
- Determine where in your yard you want to plant the tree.
- For B&Bs, make sure the root ball is intact and securely bound before buying.
- Carry the tree by root ball/pot only.
- Water the root ball or pot as soon as you get it home and allow excess water to drain away.
- Wrap pot/root ball with plastic to protect floors.
- Keep pot/root ball moist, but not wet (cool water).
- Keep the tree away from heat sources and, if possible, place it near a window.
- Choose lights that give off less heat.
- The maximum time the tree can be kept indoors is 10 days, but try and remove it sooner than that.
- Soon after Christmas, dig a hole in the yard and place the potted or B&B tree in, then cover with soil.
In early spring, prepare planting site and plant tree in your planned location.