- Stewed figs, quartered (recipe below)
- Caramelized onions (recipe below)
- 7 tbsp chèvre (goat cheese), softened
- 1-2 sheets store-bought frozen all butter puff pastry, defrosted and cut into 3 cm rounds (Gourmet Warehouse and Whole Foods both carry this)
- 20 chervil leaves
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Lay puff pastry rounds on a parchment-lined baking tray and cover with another piece of parchment. Place another baking tray on top of the parchment.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- Spread 1 teaspoon of goat cheese onto each puff pastry round.
- Mound 1 teaspoon of caramelized onion onto each puff pastry round as well.
- Garnish with ¼ of a stewed fig and garnish with one leaf of chervil.
Yields 20 servings
- 5 black mission figs
- ¼ bottle red wine
- 2” long piece of cinnamon
- 1 star anise
- 5 whole black peppercorns
- 1 tsp salt
- Put all ingredients into a pot — be sure that the wine covers the figs.
- Bring to a boil, and then reduce heat to low and simmer until figs are soft, approximately 20 minutes.
- Let figs cool in the wine.
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 2 tbsp butter
- pinch of salt
- 1 sprig thyme
- Cook onions with butter, salt and thyme over low heat until golden and caramelized, stirring constantly.
- Remove thyme sprig before adding to puff pastry rounds.