Give this easy pasta dish, using the broad fettuccine-like noodles known as pappardelle, a try for a satisfying dinner that comes together in under 30 minutes
This heartwarming combination of crab and avocado is made creamy not by using actual cream, but cream cheese.
- 500 grams pappardelle noodles
- 1 medium yellow onion, peeled and sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 cup sliced fresh shiitake mushrooms
- 1/3 cup white wine or chicken stock
- 6 ounces firm cream cheese
- Sea salt and cracked pepper, to taste
- 300 grams fresh crab meat
- 1 large ripe avocado, peeled and cubed
- 1/3 cup fresh dill
- 2 lemons, sliced into wedges
- Cook the pappardelle noodles in a pot of salted boiling water until al dente.
- Drain noodles and drizzle with a tablespoon of olive oil to prevent sticking and set aside.
- Place the onion and garlic in a sauté pan.
- Pour in the 1/4 cup olive oil and fry until the onions are golden brown.
- Add the sliced mushrooms and the wine or stock. Simmer for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Break the cream cheese into small pieces and add to the pan. Stir constantly.
- As the cream cheese melts it will create a sauce.
- Season to taste with sea salt and cracked pepper.
- Add the crab meat and dill.
- Warm through but do not overcook.
- Pour the sauce over the reserved cooked noodles, top with the avocado cubes and garnish with the wedges of lemon.
- Serve immediately.