When it's too hot to turn the oven on, electric grills are the perfect way to make quick and easy ranch-style chicken pitas for dinner
Our little apartment gets mighty hot in the summers, so our electric grill becomes a handy tool for making chicken. My local Nesters Market sells free-range chicken breast so I try and always have a few on hand in the freezer for quick and easy meals.
They're vacuum packed so it makes thawing them in the sink easy, as I don't like thawing meat in the microwave – who knows what scary things it does to the integrity of our food.
Once thawed, I baste the chicken breasts with some ranch dressing and toss them on the grill. The combination of juicy chicken, creamy avocado, sharp cheddar and crispy iceberg lettuce is a winner. I hope you'll love it too!
- 2 skinless boneless free-range chicken breasts
- 4 Tbsp. ranch dressing
- 4 whole wheat pitas
- 4 1-oz slices aged cheddar cheese
- 1 avocado, quartered
- 2 cups iceberg lettuce, chopped
- Brush chicken with 2 Tbsp. of ranch dressing
- Grease grill and cook chicken for about 10 minutes or until no longer pink in middle
- Smear avocado on pita and top with cheese, lettuce and remaining ranch dressing
- Chop chicken and divide between pitas